Sunday, April 13, 2008

Car-Jacked


Yesterday evening was an eventful one indeed. My family and I were driving through a poor community in a dangerous area of Dallas, TX. Approaching a stoplight I noticed a Cadillac pull up next to us, all of the sudden, out of nowhere a woman leaps from the car and begins banging furiously on the windows of our car yelling to let her inside. In a panic my mother pressed the gas pedal and we drove off quickly. Playing the scary moment back in my head I truly wonder what the woman had wanted from us, and why? We made it back home and sat down to eat dinner. Flipping through the channels on the television we came across a recording of Idol Gives Back. This episode was purely to raise awareness of the need for education in other countries as well as America. In America specifically the target was poorer ghetto neighborhoods where education is not as important as personal safety. There were many famous people pouring money and time into these communities to try and help rebuild an appreciation for children's education in hopes of starting a rebirth in the communities. After my families experience in the ghetto of Dallas I am more aware of the danger of those neighborhoods, as well as more concerned for the children living in those neighborhoods. Knowledge is the key to change, and change is what these children need!

No comments: