Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lost Somewhere in Time

I just received in the mail a copy of my grandmother’s journal from when she was growing up. She is still alive, and she wanted to share a little bit about what she was like when she was a child. Every entry in this journal is so eloquently written, and with beautiful cursive handwriting; and at the young age of 13! I was so impressed by her stories and it made me wonder what has happened to our education as children that we have come from my grandmother’s time with such sophistication and beautiful writing. As a young child, I could barely write in cursive let alone use words such as ‘languidly’ and ‘sauntering’. I hope one day the education system will regain the emphasis placed on rhetoric and language, I feel that through children’s literature this can be taught quite easily and through reading thy can learn a new beautiful form of language which has gotten lost somewhere in time.

No comments: