Thursday, February 21, 2008

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry


I remember reading this children's chapter book , "Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry", when I was in grade school. I remember not really understanding the brutality of a surviving African American family that was portrayed in this book because of my age. Reading it again, as an adult I recognize and understand the hardships presented throughout this book. The reason I was interested in re-reading it was because I have been studying slavery in America in one of my debate classes, so, picking up the book I felt like I could really comprehend what the author was trying to paint a picture of.

The Logan family is the center of our story, they endure many hardships throughout this novel, and they always fight for justice and what is right. The book, written by Mildred Taylor, describes the trials this family endured extremely vividly. Some of the things they went through are desrespect from store owners, burnings and killings, boycotting, losing jobs, lynching and crop fires. The family teaches the readers to stick together and stand up for what is right. Throughout the story the family is mostly trying to protect their small farm, while the kids are constantl lured into fights of defense, the Logan parents are always having to back them up. When a store owner disrespects their daughter, Cassie, the family begins to boycott the store. When a close friend gets condemned to lynching, Papa goes to stop it from happening. These are just a few of the ways they family sticks up for one another and for what is right. Over all the novel was a good read of courage and family.

Book 3: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Author: Mildred D. Taylor
Picture Book?: No - Chapter
Posting Date: February 21, 2008

No comments: