Friday, February 15, 2008

Will You be my Valentine?

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I decided to do a little research…
The correlation of Valentine’s Day to love can actually be dated back to 1382. The writer and poet, Chaucer, write a poem in honor of the marriage of two friends. The poem was read mistakenly and the readers thought he was declaring the 14th of February, Valentine’s Day. From then on, the day was equated with love and marriage. Since then many Children’s stories and picture books have been written about this topic. In grade school I remember always celebrating the special day making cards for my friends, including a poem in it, usually sounding something along the lines of:
‘Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Sugar is sweet,
And so are you’
That of course is one of the most famous love poems. But, now there are plenty out there in bookstores and on the internet, I found one that might describe how some girls feel on Valentine’s Day by Myra Livingston:
If you won’t be my Valentine
I’ll scream, I’ll yell, I’ll bite.
I’ll cry aloud, I’ll start to whine
If you won’t be my Valentine.
I’ll frown and fret, I’ll mope and pine, and
It will serve you right—
If you won’t be my Valentine
I’ll scream, I’ll yell, I’ll bite!

No comments: