Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sick


One memory I have from growing up is the yearly poetry readings at my elementary school. Sixth graders at Moss Haven Elementary, spend their second semester memorizing Shel Sylverstein poems to recite to the school with their own interpretation of costumes and acting. I can remember I chose the tongue-tying poem titled “Sick”. The young girl in the poem spends exactly 27 lines complaining about absurd sicknesses she has developed that would prevent her from going to school that day. In the end she is told that today, in fact, is Saturday. Then she exclaims “okay I’m going out to play”! I enjoyed reading this poem as a 12 year-old as much as I enjoy reading it today. I definitely plan to read the poems by Shel Sylverestein to even my children one day, and I know they will love them just as much as I have.

Book 2: Where the Sidewalk Ends
Author: Shel Silverstein
Picture Book?: No - Poetry
Posting Date: February 12, 2008

No comments: