Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Red Pony.


The Red Pony is divided into four different stories, all centering around one main character, Jody. I picked this book out specifically, because I remember it to be one of my favorites from when I was in grade school. The first book starts out with a happy beginning. Jody had just received a new pony from his dad, and with the help of his ranch hand Billy, Jody learns how to take care of it and to train it. When the horse falls ill, Billy goes to desperate measures to try and save the horse from death. Eventually the horse runs away and is found dead with vultures preying on it. The second story introduces a new character, Gitano, a Mexican man who claims to have grown up on Jody's ranch. Gitano sparks Jody's interest in exploring the Mountains. Book 3 is a tragic story of another horse death. Jody is once again promised a cult from the stomach of a horse that the family already owns. Complications during the pregnancy causes Billy to kill the colt in order to save the mother's life. Jody's grandfather comes to visit in the last book, and Jody is filled with more wonder about exploration. His grandfather has many stories about his own crossing of the Great Plains, and Jody listens with wide eyes. The novel ends with his grandfather explaining that it was not the exploration that was important, that is was being able to be a leader.

Although this book has many tragic stories, I think I really liked it for the character of Jody. He is an emotional child full of wonder as well as very inquisitive. As a child I think that I was a lot like him, and I could relate in that way.

Book 7: The Red Pony
Author: John Steinbeck
Picture Book?: No - Chapter book
Posting Date: March 27, 2008

No comments: